Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Discernment...

In one of the ministries that I am working with this year, I have an individual who has recently asked for some advice partly on what the teachings of the Catholic Church would say, but more than that would like some help and support about a decision that she is being faced with...DISCERNMENT! We all love that word, don't we.

I indicated that I was going to share her discernment question on my blog in hopes that I would be able to connect her with someone that had dealt with the same or similar issue. For I believe that what she needs is the support from someone that has faced this same question.

The discernment question focused on having another child, even if their is a 50% chance that the child will be born with an incurable developmental disease.

The two aspects of this decision that I thought of right away is that this is a question of discernment, one that does not have a right or wrong answer, and I believe that I will recommend Fr. Michael Scanlon's book on discernment, "What does God want, a practical guide to making decisions." This is a great practical guide that I have used a few times.

The second aspect that I have thought of a few times is that every child is a blessings from God. Even though I truly believe that this is true and likewise I know that the women faced with this decision knows this as well, she is and needs to be concerned with the practicalities of the decision to have another child, one that has the likelihood of being disabled.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for resources, pro-life and strictly in line with Catholic Teaching, including, books or blogs written by people who have faced the same decision.

Thank you for any suggestions that you may have.

Blessings,
Joy

1 comment:

  1. Try here first.

    http://www.exceptionalcatholicmn.com/

    Not sure what type of disability she is looking at facing, but if you could let me know, i know other families who have faced various disabilities that most likely would be happy to speak with her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Adventurous Beginnings, I would be delighted to hear from you! Likewise, if you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to my blog.
Blessings, Joy!