Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summer Vacation Adventures

As most of my readers know we took a family vacation to Ohio this past weekend. It was the furthest away from home that we are planning to go this summer. We have coming up and have had plenty of long weekends of camping, but I think at least for me this weekend actually seemed like a family vacation because we went road tripping 12-14 hours away from home and because we stayed in a hotel. 


We left on Thursday night and traveled straight through. Starting in Minnesota, traveling through Wisconsin, into Illinois, and than into Indiana and finally into our destination state, Ohio. I started off driving and took us all the way to Madison till Little Might needed some attention and Mr. T realized that he was not going to be able to sleep anymore, this was a bit of a disappointment I was hoping to drive through Chicago. I however became the back seat driver and the dispenser of toll money. Mr. T. than took us to the Indiana border, 
while I slept, than I took over for the rest of the way.


Those last two hours of the journey were my favorite. Mr. T crawled in back to sleep and Little Might was out as well. I took over the wheel and had my cup of coffee and praise and worship music playing from the CD player. I literally had the opportunity to watch the night turn into day as the sun rose and the low lying fog in the trees and the valleys drifted away. Truly beautiful!

The rest of the trip was just as nice. While in Ohio we had the opportunity to do some sightseeing, including German Village a unique part of town that has been completely restored with all the neat little brick buildings and cobble stone streets, at points you almost think you walked back into history. We also saw a replica of the Santa Maria sailed by Columbus, and I received a refresher course on my American history, oh my I need to brush up before I start teaching Little Might.

On Saturday night after the wedding we had the opportunity to do some joy riding around town. Little Might was totally zonked out and the need for milk for him took us throughout town. Which than promoted us to just drive and to enjoy each others company. We saw the distinct neighborhoods of Columbus some which are extremely beautiful and some that are not so nice.

On the way back home from Ohio we stopped in Chicago for a night and stayed at a Double Tree by Hilton Hotel near the airport. I again got an amazing deal through Expedia unpublished rates. It had a nice pool area and our room was on the first level with a patio going out into the garden courtyard, and did I mention that it had an amazing king size bed with all down, down comforters, pillows, and a thick, down mattress pad. It was GREAT! I should of taken pictures to share! :-) Yes, I know sometimes it does not take much to impress this SAHM!

We also took the L into Chicago for the evening, not something that I would recommend with a stroller, but we managed.



We stopped at the House of Blues for a quick peak, and to give Mr. T a chance to take a few pictures and to purchase a few souvenirs.



Than on to Navy Pier for a bit to eat, and a few beautiful views of Lake Michigan and of Downtown Chicago!



Than on Monday, after milking out the hotel for all its worth, including breakfast and a swim in the pool, we left for home, which included taking a scenic drive through the beautiful country side of northern Illinois into Wisconsin, where we dreamed about future road trips for next summer.

I hope you and your family have had some wonderful family moments this summer - Enjoy!

Blessings,
Joy


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! You are a trooper, I don't care much for the actual driving, but thankfully Mr. B loves it. I am much more content to hang out in the passenger seat. But I do admit, the lure of the open road is so very appealing! Great pictures, especially the one with the Chicago skyline in the background!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Adventurous Beginnings, I would be delighted to hear from you! Likewise, if you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to my blog.
Blessings, Joy!