Thursday, June 30, 2011

Car Seats, Car Seats, and More Car Seats

Little Might is rapidly growing out of his infant car seat and it is just about time to get him another one. So when I was at Baby's R Us yesterday I decided that it would be good to look at them. I had already done some research online but wanted to look at them in person.

I became so confused when I was looking at them and I still think that the headache I had last night was due to the car seat shopping. As I was looking at them though I realized that I had no idea what the next car seat should be so I called Mr. T to see if he wanted to come and meet me when he was done with work. It actually worked out perfectly and he was able to come and look at them with me.

I think we have decided what the next seat will be for Little Might.

As we were looking though I could not help but think that I only had one car seat in my whole lifetime, at least that is what my mom says. Little Might, on the other hand, will have three to four different car seats.  Which each individual car seat will cost on average $100 - $150. Some car seats cost $300 plus and you do get what you pay for.

No, I am not in anyway undermining the safety value of car seats, I am simply stating that everything gets to be a lot. Yes, a lot financially but even more than that, in every other sense of the word.

Little Might currently has the Graco Snug Ride, which we like by the way, one of the great benefits is that it fits right into the stroller that we have, I used that convenience a lot when Little Might was an infant. It is part of a travel system. This is only a rear facing car seat, and good up to 25lbs.  If I would have to buy it again I would think about a convertible car seat, the all in one possibility for car seats. I do realize though that if we are blessed to have another child than that does not matter anyway, for the next child would need it. 

The next car seat, we think, will be the Evenflow Titan Elite. This car seat will be good up to 50lbs. It is considered a convertible car seat because it will face the rear until Little Might is 2 and than we can transition it to face forward. In the state of MN, a child needs to be facing back until he or she turns 2, at least that is what the sales clerk said last night. The AARP website recommends this as well.

We hope to not need the 3rd type of car seat, the forward facing convertible booster. We hope that by the time Little Might out grows the Elite we will be able to put him in the booster seat, which than will be good until he weights 100lbs.

Now that you probably know way more about car seats than what you ever wanted to know, and your head is swirling like mine, I will leave you with a much more comforting thought.

We are blessed to know that our good Lord is watching over all our children, and will protect them even when we can't.

Blessings,
Joy

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about car seats makes my head spin! We are just starting down that road of deciding what we are going to try to do. I may have lots of questions for you! Glad Mr. T was able to stop by the store and help out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Adventurous Beginnings, I would be delighted to hear from you! Likewise, if you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to my blog.
Blessings, Joy!