Friday, September 2, 2011

Frugal Friday - A few great finds!

Greetings and Welcome to Frugal Friday!

I had a really nice and enjoyable day yesterday!

My SIL gave me a call in the morning and asked me if Little Might and I would be interested in going with her to register at Baby's R US. Originally another friend and I were going to go to the pool, but a few things came up for her and it turned out to be to HOT! Yes, 90+ degrees in MN on the first day of September that is just WRONG!

But anyway I digressed, so Little Might and I did join my SIL and it was a lot fun I enjoyed helping her register sharing my experience with what I enjoyed as far as gifts and what I did not find helpful or useful. I also indicated that I would love to register again if we are fortunate to have more children in the future. :-) No, I am not serious, but their are some items out there that I would love to have. They are always coming out with new and better things.

After we were done at Baby's R US we went to the mall and got a bite to eat than on to the bookstore. Borders Books I in the mall that we were at is going out of business and everything was on sale 60-80%. My hope was to find a few books for Little Might, his library is a bit small. I was not successful in that area but however they had a few great books on homeschooling.

The greatest find was a copy of "The Well -Trained Mind" A Guide to Classical Education at Home" by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I have heard so many amazing things about this book. I believe that it will give me a great understanding of Classical Education, where the focus of the home-school curriculum is based on reading and the history, math, and science curriculum comes from that. Mr. T and I have not decided if we will use the Classical Education Method for homeschooling, nor have we decided for sure that we will home-school for sure, but, it will be great to learn more about the classical method of education.

Another one of my purchases, was a find by my SIL, "The Domestic Church: Room by Room" by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle. I had not heard of this book, but, it looks wonderful, I believe that it will be a great tool for bringing order into the house, as well as helping us to fulfill our vocation as mothers and wives. In some ways this book reminds me of another great book that I had borrowed from a friend titled, "A Mothers Rule of Life" by Holly Pierlot. This was a very helpful book in helping me to schedule my week, as well as my days. When I first got married and then when Little Might was born a new that I needed to create a schedule, it was funny though I had NO idea where to start. I have planned week long mission trips for high school students and weekend retreats but I could not schedule my own day at home.

On to the Frugal aspect of the day, I was able to purchase those 2 books along with 2 others all for the price of the one book on Classical Education, in the long run saving me just about $60 and yes, after looking at the prices on Amazon, I did, even a bit better than there and I did not have to pay for shipping. So again all in all, I think it was a pretty good find.

Now, I have some reading to do!

Blessings,
Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Adventurous Beginnings, I would be delighted to hear from you! Likewise, if you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to my blog.
Blessings, Joy!