Friday, September 16, 2011

Frugal Friday - Stocking Up

Fall is in the air!

I love fall, the leaves changing color, the cool crisp air that hopefully will be accompanied by an Indian Summer, blue jeans and sweaters, and of course all the fall food favorites, can we say apple crisp!

I also enjoy stocking up, and I have had so much fun doing that today and yesterday. I have got a few really good.

A few of the things that I have done for stocking up, which I believe will save me a little bit of money all the way around.

Core and Peal Apples, which are now in the freezer ready for apple treats throughout the year! I got them at a small little ma n' pa apple orchard, 10lbs for $5. You cannot beet that price.
I heated the peels and the cores with some cinnamon on the oven, letting them simmer all day!

Grating Zucchini - I have 10plus cups in the freezer ready for baking. I got 5 zucchini for $2.

What started the whole process this morning was going to the Farmers Market, where I got the following items, which will be stock piled so to speak for the winter.

Shallots, I have never done this before, but I have a bunch drying a rack in the basement. As I am sure we all know Shallots are extremely expansive, except if your at the farmers market.

Cilantro, I chopped the cilantro, than drizzled Olive Oil over it, and scoped it in to an ice cube tray. I will be able to pull it out, and use it in place of fresh cilantro.

Green Peppers, we use a lot of green peppers, and the most inexpensive way to purchase them is again at the Farmers Market, I got a basket full for $6. Most of them will be sliced and frozen.

Then the last thing that I purchased this morning at the market was some flowers, which I have drying in the pantry, upside down. I am excited to have in the house throughout the winter. The bouquet will add some nice color.

These are a few of my favorite things to do, to prepare for winter. What are your tips?

Till next time, be frugal!

Blessings,
Joy

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Great ideas. I am heading to the market tomorrow and I am going to stock up too! You've given me ideas that my family will enjoy all winter.

    Thanks!

    T.B.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Adventurous Beginnings, I would be delighted to hear from you! Likewise, if you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to my blog.
Blessings, Joy!